lightweight linux reccomendations please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im looking for recommendations for a lightweight linux disto please.

basically Im going to be running a laptop as a lighting desk (for theatre etc) using magiq http://chamsys.co.uk/products from these guys.

I have a couple of older laptops about, that are perfectly capable of running windows XP, but for this purpose Id prefer linux.

This laptop will ONLY be used for this software, so singing and dancing twiddlybits are just not required, there will never be a network connection made to it after install/update, so no antivirus to mess about.

the lighter, the better.

Sponsored Links
Only ones I can suggest are Puppy Linux or Feather Linux. Only thing about linux though is, for laptops, overheating seems to be a bit of a problem for them (specially with the heavier distro's) Can be sorted out by installing proprietary drivers for the graphics card though.
As for antivirus software, you'd probably not need any for it (even if it did have an internet connection) Biggest danger for Linux users is passing on viruses via email attachments. Win and Mac viruses don't affect Linux, although there have been a few instances of a Win virus executing itself in Wine/Playonlinux and mucking a linux installation up. Best thing about Linux is , your never ever logged in as a root user and you don't install programs into the root folder (although you can access and install into the root folder if you know what your doing from the terminal)
I'm currently running Ubuntu 11.04 on my computer, without any antivirus software (have been now for at least 5 months with 0 viruses/malware etc) ;) ;) ;)

cheers, I do have a linux machine at home, so familiar with it, but it being my main machine, its got a few bells and whistles with it.

will have to check on the graphics drivers, see if they are avaliable for it. (had another lappy that I couldnt get linux drivers for (SIS chipset), so it ended up back on windows )

Ubuntu does have generic graphics drivers in the repositories, but usually anything with a graphics card (as opposed to onboard graphics chip) runs better with the proprietary drivers. NVidia have good support for linux OS's (ATI less so)

Lots of help available here.
http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=130

Sponsored Links
I'd agree with JJ. I installed Ubuntu 10.10 on one machine ages ago for my eldest boy, now I've installed it again for his brothers. Since updated to NN.

It's great for nowt and not heavy either.

I have noted there have been problems with 11.10 Ubuntu though. I tried it on a USB stick and found some things wouldn't work so have stuck with 11.04. I think ver 12.04 is out this year and includes LTS (long term support) so I'm waiting for that. If it seems any good I might just back up my data and then do a fresh install

might give it another shot on the lappy then. last time it was unusable, as there was no acceleration at all.

Back