Lime plaster / putty advise please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My house is c18 late.

We have had a conservation building expert to visit due to damp issues. Our main problem is the gypsum and plasterboard old owners put up which did not allow for breathing?

There are lots of hollows when you tap the walls, and issues with condensation which cant escape.

We have been advised to fit air bricks in some rooms, and electric extractors in bathroom. This is below ground level as our house is built in side of hill, front door is upstairs. Also could do with changing heating system to one that keeps house at permanent 11 degs to stop fluctuation intemps and therefore condensation. This bit makes sense but am struggling to get head around best way to redo walls properly. Just want to know what i need before i get quotes!

There is no damp course.

We have been advised to remove plaster board and gypsum back to brick. Then a limeputty needs to be applied followed by lime plaster allowing walls to breathe.

Was wondering if this sounds right as a few conflicting views re lime etc. also would this be better as opposed to removing all plaster and gypsum, then leaving a space which we can insulate some way with a baton wall?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
You can ask help for any any civil engineer.If you really wants to have a strong house please verify with a civil contractor and based upon the report you must renovate your house.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back