LIMs/Schedules of Inspections

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When filling out a Schedules of Inspections on a PIR on a standard domestic. How far do you take it regarding LIMs?
I find it hard to tick the boxes for the following under
Cables and Conductors;
*Erection Methods
*Routing of Cables
*Cables incorporating earthed armour or sheath, or run within an earthed wiring system or otherwise protected against nails, screws etc...

As how could you possible know, without either having pre-documented evidence or ripping the house to bits?

Sponsored Links
If you read the PIR form it says at the bottom of the extent and limitations box words to that effect.

If you read the PIR form it says at the bottom of the extent and limitations box words to that effect.
Thanks for the reply, I am aware that extent and limitations should be identified after agreement with the client.
But is it me being an arse? If the cables are cancelled within the fabric of the building, so erection methods or cables routed in prescribed zones can not be confirmed, you can't possible, with good judgement tick those three boxes and they must go down as LIMs!
I appreciate your input.

when you go to the db take switches off, etc you can see what cables are used, and see if they have any 'Cables incorporating earthed armour or sheath, or run within an earthed wiring system or otherwise protected against nails, screws etc... '.

also when you take of switches/sockets you can see if the cables have been capped/run stright.

as for the erection methods as you look around/ take things apart you can see the quality of the workmanship etc etc

Sponsored Links
But entry of cables in to accessory back boxes can not tell you 100% that that cable is routed within prescribed zones, it could quite easy take a trip on the diagonal or dog leg off to the unknown.

I agree with you , if you cant inspect or test any aspect of a PIR It has to be Lim , you cant just tick the box because it is there. There is a statement on the model IET form that says to the effect that wiring contained in the fabric of the building ,concealed within trunking, in roofs and floor spaces,or underground has not been inspected.
I always add a comment of the items I have been unable to inspect or test either by agreement with the client or not practical.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back