Lining bathroom options?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Can anyone make suggestions as to best option to line a bathroom? Walls and ceilings... It's new stud work, so the worlds my oyster, right?
I'm thinking a combination of tile board where there will tiles, painted water resistant mdf where there won't, and t&g plastic stuff n ceiling.... But, how do you make that look good???

All ideas welcome!

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't use mdf in a bathroom to start with.
You can join tiles and pvc planks quite effectively, you can probably do the same with the heavier resin boards. T & G ceiling planks look fine from a distance, tape and joint and silk paint works ok on ceilings....

I've just used marmox board everywhere and it worked really well. Easy to cut and screw onto studs

IMG_20230708_104938.jpg

To do that I used no more ply cement boards on the studwork in the shower cubicle, the shower panels glued straight on, you can tile straight onto it too.

The rest of the walls and ceiling are normal plasterboard finished with board finish plaster.

The lower cladding is 300mm white hollow soffit and the edge trims are from wickes.

The paint is a dulux kitchen colour, we had a similar bathroom setup in the old house and it lasted 6 years without any sign of wear or failure from the paint or plasterboards.

Sponsored Links
View attachment 307696

To do that I used no more ply cement boards on the studwork in the shower cubicle, the shower panels glued straight on, you can tile straight onto it too.

The rest of the walls and ceiling are normal plasterboard finished with board finish plaster.

The lower cladding is 300mm white hollow soffit and the edge trims are from wickes.

The paint is a dulux kitchen colour, we had a similar bathroom setup in the old house and it lasted 6 years without any sign of wear or failure from the paint or plasterboards.
Looks really smart! Thanks

I used Delta board in the shower area. Very similar to Marmox, Wedi, Elements, STS (Wickes), etc).
A little flexible so likely to need extra noggins.

No real need to use anything but skimmed standard plasterboard outside the wet shower/bath areas.
No harm in belt and braces though. Probably not going to add a great deal to the overall cost.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back