LINING PAPER DISASTER - HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Decided to redecorate the hall stairs and landing. Took the old wallpaper off and decided to line and paint it (due to the fact that the existing wallpaper pulled have the paint off the wall and left half on) Got someone in to do it but i had to prep the walls first. Pulled the dado rail off and of course out came chunks of plaster with the masonery nails. Only had polyfilla to hand and it was late so tried to layer it but wasn't able to get it levelled and smooth for the decorator coming. Told my wife to explain the situation to him and offer to pay him whatever extra for the finishing the prep work.

Came home from work later that day and what a disaster.

He had supposedly levelled the holes off, but he hung the wallpaper before the filler was dry by the looks of it and every place where a nail used to be is noticable as there is a 3-4inch rough circle. Phoned the decorater and he said he was aware of this a would fix it the next day before painting and it would be perfect, unnoticable blah blah.

Next day arrived home after everything was painted and to be honest it was marginally better but not much. The wife has paid him now (she thought it looked ok to begin with) so there is not much chance of getting him back. Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what i can do?

Can i apply a layer of fill over the painted lining paper and sand it back and paint over it? I have some easy sand filler (the proper stuff not polyfilla)

Is it possible to strip the lining paper from the bottom up - level off then stick the painted lining paper back down?

Having paid to get this job done obviously i don't want to strip the whole thing and do it again. As a last resort i might end up just having to put the dado rail back on to try and cover up the rough spots

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If its a bit sticking up then you could try cutting around it with a sharp knife and picking the lining paper of..bash the offending lump down (the wall not your decorator!) and then fill over..dont fill in one go..build up a couple of layers..

Then use a radiator roller and your paint to get some texture back over the flat filled area then re paint the whole wall.

IMo its better to do that then fill on to the lining paper..the water in the filler, if its deep, can cause the paper to bubble and lift.

I am not being cheeky, but me personally, when an client explains that they are going to prepare some work for me to go over, then i refuse to do the job. This is due to many things that can go wrong.

You see the painter would have arived at your house in the understanding that you were preparing the job. He would have brought only lining paper and paste (going by your story). On arriving your wife would have explained that could the decorator fill certain areas etc. Problem is, the decorator may not have the correct filler with him, as the job was arranged, as explained. Though if the decorator had to go and get the correct filler then this could have taken 4 hours to organise etc. This would have possably effected his days plan.

This is prob why the decorator "had to" line over not properly dried filled areas. Rant over.

Anyway, whats done is done.

In terms of all your questions, then the thing is, that Lining Paper on old plastered walls is a quick fix i am afraid. When filler is applied to lining paper then there can be loads of things going wrong. It can make the lining paper blister in some cases. Also, it can make joints on lining paper appear to crack though time, especialy in bathrooms and kitchens. I personaly do not recomend using filler on lining paper though it can be done, but there is enough evidence that this practice can cause lonterm problems with the lining paper.

Also, the thing about most diy fillers is that they can be only filled by no more than 3mm. If applied thicker than 3mm then they will shrink. Also if applied in layers then this can cause loss of adhesion.

What should have been done was use the correct plaster for these situations and not use polyfilla or even some other brands.

If i was in your situation then i would strip the lining paper (cos you dont seem a happy chappy with ypur surfaces). Then get in an plasterer and ask the plasterer if the surfaces can be given two-coats of multi-finish plaster whithout any cracks appearing through the new skim. If he says that it cannot be done then your next option is to get the walls back to brick and re-plaster from there.

This is assuming your walls are all bricked. If not then i assume they are gyproc and if so then all you need is two-coats of multi-finish plaster on them.

Thanks for your input guys

Third eye, understand what you saying about the prep work and i have to hold my hands up to that one, but the wife was getting a bit upset about the work not getting done so i told her to book the guy when realistically i knew i prob wouldn't be ready for him coming. That said i had all the tools and materials he needed so there wasn't any reason he couldn't have done it properly before hanging the paper.

The only problem with the walls (apart from where i pulled the nails out) was the fact that the wallpaper pulled some of the eggshell finish off underneath (it seems to be a topic that is posted on here quite a lot) and i knew if i painted over it the levels would show through. I thought lining would be the cheaper alternative to skimming.

Might consider cutting a section of the paper away and levelling, then repaper and fill the joins. Don't want to strip the whole thing as i spent £300 getting it done (materials and labour) and as i said it is only on the line of the dado the rest of the finish if pretty decent.

Any other thoughts greatly appreciated.

No offense to tradesmen, but i wish my wife would have been a bit more patient and let me have a go at papering myself - at least if i balls it up i've no one else to blame but myself and i can go to a 'professional' knowing he will do a better job than me.

Sponsored Links
That said i had all the tools and materials he needed so there wasn't any reason he couldn't have done it properly before hanging the paper.
I am not having a go at you "coulterb" but above quote can lead to problems also.

I to have walked onto jobs where clients explain that they have correct materials etc for the job. Though if i used there materials then the job would have taken longer.

You see decorators have there own methods of working and if a different product is put in front of them and they are asked to use it, then i personally would/have explain(ed) that if anything should go wrong with a certain filler etc then i will not be held responsible as some fillers can fall off or can lift whilst wallcovering over them or can split above radiators etc.

My worst ever situation was when a guy explained he would get all materials. Even though i tried to explain. He would not listen. So off i went to the job which was 40 miles away from any builders merchants. Went to door and guy said there is all the materials you need mate. I replied that the materials are the wrong stuff.

I lost one days income and petrol and use of vehicle. I explained this to the guy and he said it aint his problem. This is why i refuse to do jobs when clients buy materials.

Rant over.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back