Lining paper hasn't hidden flaws!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've been putting lining paper onto a wall in my living room that was in bad shape. Lots of holes, an uneven surface and a 'step' of around 1.5m in diameter circle-ish shape where someone has removed vinyl paint.

I spent quite a while prepping the wall, filling, sanding back, and gently sanding the edge of aforementioned 'step' to even it out into a more gentle gradient.

I've put up the lining paper... and it hasn't hidden the 'step.' At all. There's also a few areas of filler that are visible as being not sanded back enough.

I'm super disheartened - I've not done this before and I really did spend hours prepping. It seems I'm passable at hanging lining paper, just not brilliant at prep!

This is a rented house so I'm reluctant to spend too much BUT is there any way I can work with this as I wanted painted walls!

Attachments

• 1715588948303679139283282071150.jpg
    1715588948303679139283282071150.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 17155889686861508808816060486367.jpg
    17155889686861508808816060486367.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 17155889895012982879462862367586.jpg
    17155889895012982879462862367586.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 42
Sponsored Links
If the walls are really bad, double lining can help hide the defects. The first layer of paper is horizontal, second layer vertical.

However, lining paper smooths out the defects. It doesn't completely hide them.

Paper the wall on top. Find a decent pattern. Save you worrying about the lumps and bumps then.

Sponsored Links
Firstly, if that was your first attempt, a very well done to you anyway.

Have you actually applied an emulsion on the paper yet?

Once it's had a coat or two, you may find it will look better.

Also, once it's had a coat of paint, you may be able to to apply some easy sand filler in a few places.

BUT BE GENTLE. DON'T GO CRAZY WITH THE FILLER. LESS IS MORE. USE A VERY FINE SANDPAPER. DON'T FILL OR SAND UNPAINTED AREAS. DO A BIT AT A TIME. TRY A DISCREET AREA FIRST.

If the walls are really bad, double lining can help hide the defects. The first layer of paper is horizontal, second layer vertical.

However, lining paper smooths out the defects. It doesn't completely hide them.
I'd definitely consider another layer. I think it'd help with the uneven filler.

Paper the wall on top. Find a decent pattern. Save you worrying about the lumps and bumps then.
I did want painted walls, but I've been throwing this idea around now!

You could consider using thicker lining paper...
It's pretty thick, it's the Erfurt Wallrock Fibreliner? Would there be a thicker one I could use?

Firstly, if that was your first attempt, a very well done to you anyway.

Have you actually applied an emulsion on the paper yet?

Once it's had a coat or two, you may find it will look better.

Also, once it's had a coat of paint, you may be able to to apply some easy sand filler in a few places.

BUT BE GENTLE. DON'T GO CRAZY WITH THE FILLER. LESS IS MORE. USE A VERY FINE SANDPAPER. DON'T FILL OR SAND UNPAINTED AREAS. DO A BIT AT A TIME. TRY A DISCREET AREA FIRST.

Thanks! No emulsion yet, no. I might have a go at this and see how it goes, then decide my next steps.

Jeepus Cripes!
Whatever happened to lining paper at £1.50 a roll? Some of that stuff costs more than the wallpaper itself.
I must be sitting on a gold mine with all the old rolls I have saved :)

Try 1400/1700 grade paper - it will hide defects more than that thinner stuff.

or 2000

You can sand lining paper flat. You do however need a decent sander connected to a dust extractor. The dust extraction is crucial. Without it the paper dust will start to rip the surface of the paper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back