Lining paper is cracked

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope someone could give me some advice.
We have just moved into and decorated our new flat.
We have painted over the old lining paper that was already there but it is cracking.
Can someone please advise what to do?
Should I remove all lining paper and start again??

George

Sponsored Links
The flat is a conversion and the decoration was fairly dated. I couldn't say
how long the lining paper or paint have been there

Sponsored Links
Is the cracks on the jionts of the lining paper ? And/or at other areas to ?

Sounds a bit omnious..there could be a severe movement problem in the wall..it may pay you to strip the lining to see whats going on underneath it.

Then i'd recommend lining again with linen backed lining paper and then ordinary stuff 800 grade over the top.

We've had this before Zampa. I'd bet a pound to a bucket of s**t that he's painted matt over silk. You get that cracking effect all over. I did my staircase the same way 2 weeks ago - same thing.
I'd give it another coat and see how it looks - I'll bet it'll cover this time.

Sounds to me like linning perhaps was put on many years ago with weak paste and been repasted/patched and painted soo many times that maybe its giving a mudcrack/craze effect and reached the end of its...............

Can't say I ever come across crazing caused by putting matt over silk :confused:

Iread it as the paper itself was cracking and splitting...could well be the paint..rare but it can happen.

Ive seen it with matt over silk...but only over reallt darkish colours hat ones that contain a lot less pigment or a finer pigment..which can make the silk have a shinier surface.

If there were a structural problem the paper would be cracked before he started painting. My guess is the paper is old and knackerd and has lost its integrity. Better off stripping it off.

joe

Thanks everyone. How do I strip it off, seeing that it is covered in paint. As you can probably tell I am young and foolish

aint we all!...

hire a steam stripper and a hedgehod (to score the walls)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back