Lining paper is cracked

confidentincompetent said:
Can't say I ever come across crazing caused by putting matt over silk :confused:
I can show you a photo if you like - it happened when I painted my staircase walls a few weeks back. Surprised you've never heard of it though - it's not uncommon.

Sponsored Links
gcol said:
Can't say I ever come across crazing caused by putting matt over silk :confused:
I can show you a photo if you like - it happened when I painted my staircase walls a few weeks back. Surprised you've never heard of it though - it's not uncommon.

Hmm well, I never had a major crazing problem either way ie, matt on silk, silk on matt. Only way I can see that happening is if silk is rolled strait onto a dusty wall. I normally give a quick flip over with me sanding block and dust off with a damp sponge. sometimes I dont ahem, abrade, but always dust off. Its amasing how the sponge turns black in even the cleanest of houses ;)

crazing on emulsion can be caused by many reasons i.e. radiators being on whilst applying matt over silk or soft sheen, cheap matt over silk or soft sheen, grease, dirt, household cleaning chemicals being emulsioned over, sun hitting a wall whilst emulsion drying out, paste, unknown emulsion reactions with two opposite brands, over coating to early and using wrong types of emulsions outwith there intended enviroments etc......................................................

Third_Eye said:
crazing on emulsion can be caused by many reasons i.e. radiators being on whilst applying matt over silk or soft sheen, cheap matt over silk or soft sheen, grease, dirt, household cleaning chemicals being emulsioned over, sun hitting a wall whilst emulsion drying out, paste, unknown emulsion reactions with two opposite brands, over coating to early and using wrong types of emulsions outwith there intended enviroments etc......................................................

Yes of course all above is right but would apply to matt on matt on unprepared walls ;)
BUt there's nowt wrong with putting matt onto silk or vice versa. As long as wall is prepped ;)

Sponsored Links
Sounds to me like linning perhaps was put on many years ago with weak paste and been repasted/patched and painted soo many times that maybe its giving a mudcrack/craze effect and reached the end of its...............

I thought that too, as I know not to paint matt over silk, but I always thought that it was because if the silk is recent, about a couple of years old, but if its old silk, you can paint matt over, after a good rub down.

My neighbour had that problem last year, she had painted her kitchen in silk the year before, hated the colour, then changed it the following year, but had bought matt paint instead this time.
When she applied the matt over the silk, it cracked and went flakey in places, but I think also that was due to the cr@p paint she used.
She had used 'focus' own brand.

How can you prepare a deep blown vinyl wallpaper that has previously been painted with silk??? I used Johnstones Ultramatt (which I consider to be a pretty decent paint) and it cracked slightly at the edges of the raised pattern in on the paper.

gcol said:
How can you prepare a deep blown vinyl wallpaper that has previously been painted with silk??? I used Johnstones Ultramatt (which I consider to be a pretty decent paint) and it cracked slightly at the edges of the raised pattern in on the paper.

Well I would go over it with me damp sponge.
The cracking you describe sounds like 'Mud cracking' where emulsion has puddled and dried in the high spots. This is not uncommon on heavy textures where the first coat has been applied too thick, or subsequent coats have been too heavy and filled and puddled into the craters of the texture.

If you can see the cracking beforehand, sometimes the only way to get rid of it on a textured surface is to give it a primer/ sealer. But I find ths is one of the times Pva is usefull........... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back