Lining Paper or Not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

Can i please get some advice.

I've just had my living room, dining room, staircase & landing bonded then plastered, the plasters finish seems very good, nice and smooth.

My decorater now says its best to line all the walls and celings with lining paper, its costing £800 in labour alone.

Would you suggest this is the best method or do you think painting straight on it will be fine.

Thanks

Roger

Sponsored Links
WHAT!!!!!, is he having a laugh?, you have just spent out on getting all this work done, so you have nice smooth walls, so why on earth is he suggesting you have them lined now?

Find out why he is suggesting this, I can understand lining if you have fairly kr@ppy walls, but you havent, so whats his game.

Is he someone you have used before?, does he come recommended?, and have you had any other quotes?

What area do you live?

Are you wanting them painted afterwards or papering?

If papering then I can understand why he recommends lining. It'll stop the edges of your new paper curling up over time. If painting though then there's no need to line.

Regards

Fred

Lining paper is used to line uneven walls

Walls that are pitted and have problems.

Dont put it up if you have just had them plastered, could he be suggesting this to make money out of you.

Sponsored Links
Painted lining paper looks like painted wallpaper.

New plaster is the perfect surface for painting over.

Get a proper decorator in, this guy is a clown.

joe-90 said:
Painted lining paper looks like painted wallpaper.

New plaster is the perfect surface for painting over.

Get a proper decorator in, this guy is a clown.

Sorry Joe, have to disagree with you about that one.

Lining paper can look fantastic, if hung and painted right, the lining paper I hang definately does not look like painted wall paper, and believe me, all I seem to to hang at the moment is lining paper, and it does look the biz, if its done right. :D

But I do agree that this 'decorator' is trying it on, as why on earth would anyone want to hang L/P on just skimmed walls, except to try and scam some extra money of the client.

Would like to know what area he lives, as I would go and have a look for him, as next to being the lining paper queen, I am also the painting new plaster princess. :p

opinions differ, but I am always pleased with a smooth, flat plaster that's been painted with a Trade matt. This will allow any residual dampness from the new plaster to evaporate off, and to my mind it gives a good surface for future painting or papering next time you want to decorate.

If the plasterer has done a good job there's no need to conceal it with lining paper.

The paint will also highlight any defects in the plaster finish, so it can be an advantage to give a couple of coats of matt white (first coat thinned) and fill or smooth any defects that it highlights before applying your chosen finish paint.

If the plaster has been polished glass-smooth and shiny, paint will not adhere well, though. It should be matt pale pink and free of plaster dust, which can cause paint bubbles.

Wow, so many replies, thank you very much everyone.

Ok, let me try and explain some.

1930’s House.
Through lounge / diner.
All Wall’s and both ceilings were stripped of the old paper.
All walls and both ceilings were BONDED.
All walls and both ceilings were skimmed/plastered.

The finish is brown matt and seems really nice and smooth.

I asked my builder before he started the work I don’t want any cracks to appear after a few months etc, he told me the best thing was to put a layer of bonding all over (plus remove all broken parts of the walls) then skim everything.

After the work I asked him again and he said the only real way of making sure i don’t get any crack was to put lining paper up, but he also did say it not really needed but it’s up to me.

Looking at everyone’s advice here I think I’m going to give the Lining Paper a miss, it’s also a lot of money I will be saving.

Thanks to the complete team for all their time in assisting me in this matter.

Roger

If the plaster is still brown it is probably still damp. You will find in about a week it goes pale pink (there may be variations depending on content of plaster used). It will start out being patchy as some bits dry faster than others. Leave the windows and doors open for ventilation.

Thanks

would you mind letting me know what paint i sould first apply to it for undercoat and howmany coats.

thanks

non vinyl trade matt, thinned with water. Follow the maker's instructions.

But opinions are like arseholes. Everybody's got one.

the thinning is to help it soak into bare plaster, so doesn't apply when painting paper.

Non-vinyl trade matt is one of the soundest surfaces for repainting later. Silk finishes may bubble if you paint over them later with matt.

Thanks John,

i'm going to pick up some Dulux Trade supermatt, is this ok too use.

And also can i use this for lining paper too ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back