Lining paper over fresh emulsion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Stripped a room and the walls are in a mess underneath so have cleaned them down and given them a quick coat of emulsion so that the holes dents etc are more visible which I've now filled.

I'm planning on covering the walls with a 1400 lining paper once the filler has gone off, which I'm then intending to paint, was painting the walls prior to this a bad idea? Should i size the walls before putting the lining paper up?

Sponsored Links
As a decorator I always advised a coat of cheap white matt Emulsion on the walls after stripping for exactly the reasons you have outlined, it will also help to lower and even the colour tone of the original walls, prior to lining or hanging wall paper

also sizing the walls will make it easier to apply the lining paper, dont forget to apply emulsion over the holes that have been filled
(sounds like you are doing a first class job!)

Cheers (will print that off to show the (y)) , is sizing the same as priming?

Looking on toolstation/screwfix and cant see "size/sizing" products?

Sponsored Links
Dont forget to give the walls a light rub down to get rid of the nibs/dust . these will show through the lining paper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back