lining paper over gloss?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just pulled 50 % of the wallpaper down form front room, it appears the previous owners have painted gloss over the hair line cracks in the plaster, and then wallpapered over this.
It looks like its on there pretty well, i have steamed the wallpaper off and only a small amount of the original paint has flaked away, some walls have a large amount of this smooth shiny old paint (only assuming its gloss)
Can i put lining paper straight on to this and paint on top?
i really dont want to have to sand it back or remove it...

Sponsored Links
Just sand to key and ensure there are no hard edges to show through the paper, use a heavy grade paper and it should be fine.

Thanks. I'll sand the rough edges and I have 1400gsm lining paper.
Some walls have a large amount of bear plaster and some have been painted over with this crack covering paint. I uderstand I need to put diluted paste on the plaster walls first?
Also anyone have a clue how to get the paper off from behind radiator pipes? Never had to do this before and its very difficult to get behind them to clear.lining paper and painting them is also going to be hard.

Sponsored Links
Yes "size" the walls with dilute paste, most manufactures give a dilution for sizing or just buy a packet of size from your local DIY store.
Paper in difficult places soak, soak and soak again, any stripping really should not need any elbow grease, but people just wet the paper and go at it with a scraper, you should ideally be able to lift an edge with the scraper and pull it off easily.
As for papering behind pipes if you find an easy way try Dragons Den you could be on to a winner!(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back