Lining paper versus Painting bare plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just started stripping off the truely awful looking wallpaper I inherited in my new flat. I want to then paint the walls. I just want plain colour, no replacement wallpaper. I also want the flexibility of changing colours, especially when it comes time to sell

My initial thought was to paint the walls, without putting up lining paper, in the living room atleast there is single layer of paint under the wallpaper, it all looks pretty smooth and so I thought a new coat of paint and I'd be done.

But lots of people seem to prefer lining paper and I'm wondering why. This whole flat has been papered, including the ceilings. Initially I thought the plaster underneath must be really bad, but so far - so good. Is there an advantage to lining paper that I'm overlooking. To me it seems like just a extra step of work to do, but then I'm very inexperienced and so may well be missing something

Sponsored Links
If your surface is sound, ie. free from loose or flaky areas and nice and smooth, then there shouldn't be any need for lining paper. I'd give the walls a light sanding (especially if the existing paint has any sheen on it). Make sure you wash the wall well with sugar soap and rinse it down before you paint though as any paste residue or dust from sanding can cause all sorts of problems.

Lining paper is used in this situation if the surface is poor as not only does it provide a good key for emulsion, but also helps to smooth out minor irregularities. Personally I find lining paper is required more often than not - stripping wallpaper to find a near perfect surface underneath is very rare.

Hope that helps.

crj, thanks for your reply. The existing paint is very flat and sheen free. The walls I've stripped look pretty good to me, so for my own purposes I'd be happy to paint without papering and then when it comes to selling it I'd probably want to give it a new coat of paint and if I think it needs it put up the lining paper then

The paste they used to put up the wall paper seems to be super thick, not like any other I've seen before, so that's going to be a big job in itself
Thanks again

Sponsored Links
I agree totally with crj...personally lining paper would be my preference, you will have a nice even surface to paint onto.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back