Lining Paper Woes...cant fill the gaps!!!

I understand the gap logic, although I've never heard of it before.

Unless your very very good at hanging lining/wallpaper, there's always a line.

Well it isn't so much as logic, in my day we always crosslined if we were to have left the smallest of gaps it would'nt have had any effect regarding the finish paper. Yet if we had overlaped the seams the end result would have been disaster.

I think that this was the point that the Tutor was trying to drum into us, It matters not really what type of paper you hang, if the seams are correctly butted the entire surface would be uniform. Of course regarding both lining paper and the reliefs such as the Glylptas, you will always be able to see the seam yet the surface should be uniform and if hung correctly the seams would be obliterated with the application of paint.

Dec

I still stand by my last bit.

Sponsored Links
With you on this one Dec.

I was taught that when cross lining you should leave a 1mm gap so that in the case of any slight further expansion of the lining paper on contact with the paste on the finish paper there would be no ridge to show through or cause bubbling.

As said, when using lining paper as a finishing paper it should be butt joined without gaps.

Well I don't see any problem with a 1mm gap in a situation like this, yet I wasn't so much instucted to do this only advised that it was the lesser of the two evils. Anyway I think we are drifting off the point here, the advice given by opps with regard to painting the lining paper first would have been the way to go.

Yet the op has said that he tried to flood the open seams with paint, if this was undertaken before any filling was attempted then a light sanding would have cured his problem.

Dec

No point whatsoever in leaving gaps in lining paper, anaglypta, supaglypta, blown vinyl, or any other paper. In fact it's a hindrance.

A good decorator would never leave gaps and fill them at a later stage, regardless of who taught them to do so.

Sponsored Links
To my knowledge no one on this thread made any mention of leaving open seams on either Anaglypta, Supaglypta, or anything else for that matter. My reference to these papers was if the seams are correctly butted together the seams remain visable until painted, this in actual fact is the very nature of these types of papers.

When cross lining it is permissable to leave a 1mm gap between the seams, they should of course be butted, yet it is not a cardinal sin in certain situations not to do so.

Dec

Well speaking for myself no, what would be the point, all I'm saying is when cross lining to accept wallpaper, if you were to it would be permissable and would have no effect on the finished result.

Dec

Well speaking for myself no, what would be the point, all I'm saying is when cross lining to accept wallpaper, if you were to it would be permissable and would have no effect on the finished result.

Dec

Then maybe, if folk stopped saying that it's o.k. to leave gaps in lining for certain instances, there would be no confusion on lining and no need to fill.

It's simple and it's easy. Butt up. No need for gaps. No confusion.

:)

Fair enough I suppose, I'm starting to regret ever mentioning it myself now.

Have a good day

Dec

Then maybe, if folk stopped saying that it's o.k. to leave gaps in lining for certain instances, there would be no confusion on lining and no need to fill.

There should be no cause for confusion if people read instructions. They clearly state that when cross lining you should leave a 1mm gap. (For those who don't know, cross lining is applying the lining paper horizontally to the wall before applying the finishing paper.)
As Dec says, butting up is usually fine but overlapping when cross lining is an absolute no-no.

When used as a finishing paper, lining paper should be hung vertically without gaps or overlaps.

Confusion sorted! ;)

There should be no cause for confusion if people read instructions. They clearly state that when cross lining you should leave a 1mm gap. (For those who don't know, cross lining is applying the lining paper horizontally to the wall before applying the finishing paper.)
As Dec says, butting up is usually fine but overlapping when cross lining is an absolute no-no.

When used as a finishing paper, lining paper should be hung vertically without gaps or overlaps.

Confusion sorted! ;)

Eh. Is this a joke.

So you leave a gap in lining paper when told to do so and you only hang it vertically when told to do so.

You cannot be serious. (McEnroe)

Eh. Is this a joke.

So you leave a gap in lining paper when told to do so and you only hang it vertically when told to do so.

No, I'm just pointing out to the DIYers the recommended way. I'm sure if you were told to paste the back of a wallcovering you wouldn't paste the front. Or would you? :rolleyes:

Us professionals know that things can be changed to suit certain situations and do so accordingly, but for those with little experience, the instructions are there for a reason.

It is my understanding that lining paper reacts differently in Antarctica, which is why you might be struggling somewhat! ;)

Eh. Is this a joke.

No, I'm just pointing out to the DIYers the recommended way. I'm sure if you were told to paste the back of a wallcovering you wouldn't paste the front. Or would you? :rolleyes:

Us professionals know that things can be changed to suit certain situations and do so accordingly, but for those with little experience, the instructions are there for a reason.

It is my understanding that lining paper reacts differently in Antarctica, which is why you might be struggling somewhat! ;)

That post makes less sense than ever.

I think that any blame regarding confusion undertaken on this thread lays solely at my feet. Often when a situation like this arises the thread can often turn ugly pointing in the direction of a full blown slanging match.

Before this occurs I think we should lay this one to rest and either agree to agree or agree to disagree, just a thought.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back