lining paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all
i wish to have a first class smooth finnish on a newly skimmed wall. the skim is good but still has a few nicks and scratshes in it when viewed with a wall light.
is lining the answer?? and is it possible the do without having a seam between 2 pieces of paper??

R

Sponsored Links
Hmmm...this is tricky because allthough linging will even out the surface irregularities to be painted it also has a very slight texture to it itself...normally acceptable in most situations.

The thinner the paper the smoother it is and linging starts at 600 grade, unfortunatly this is the hardest to hang.

The grade of the paper is in ralation to the wieght and not the quality so unless you are very confedent in your paperhanging skills id go for a 800 grade, theres no need for 1000 grade if the walls are generally ok.

I take it your going to roll the wall?...if I wanted a top draw finish I would make good the rough areas of the wall and brush it...you get a flatter smoother finish..but again you do need pretty reasonable hand skills

cheers for reply.
to most independant observers the wall is newly plasterd and is 'great'. but because a wall light has a light source right next to the wall projecting up,any irregularity is magnified.

i guess i'm talking myself into lining and i'm pretty handy just wanted to know how to hang without getting a seam between the sheets.

R

Sponsored Links
You can leave a 1mm gap and fill it with polyfilla - that leaves a flawless join and only takes minutes to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back