Lining rafters with card

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I wanted to make a section of attic nice, for a bit of extra storage space my daughter can use. The felt is quite dusty with cobwebs etc. To make it look nice, not to insulate. I have covered rafters with very thick card. I did try hardboard but it was difficult to fix at that angle and would probably warp and look rubbish. So too will the card I hear you shout!
But anyway my fear is this...
Have I made the roof more dangerous by fitting a flammable material like card?
Would insurance company be concerned? . If its a problem, I will remove. I'm hoping it's not as people store cardboard and all sorts in their attic anyway.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I'm going to assume I've done nothing wrong. If I had, I'm sure someone would have taken a degree of pleasure in telling me I'm a fool and I should have done x, y, z instead. It would be great however if someone who has knowledge of building industry / house insurance could say that it simply isn't an issue.

I doubt you have contravened any fire regulations in lining the (flammable) rafters with (flammable) card - doubt your insurance would be concerned.
But if it is a room with fixed stairs (and not just for occasional use with a pull-down ladder) there will be a score or more Building Regulations
which may have been contravened.

Thank you for your reply - perfect.
No worries about stairs as it is just an attic with pull down ladder.
I have not made any serious changes that would concern building regs
Thank you again for the reassurance about the card

Sponsored Links
Extra info..
there is a light bulb in attic but I have made sure this is a whole rafter from the covered area (I think about 40cm)
I have one extra qu if you can bear it! When I grew up we had polystyrene tiles on lounge ceiling. These were then outlawed I assume because of fire risk, not just fashion. But we recently manged to buy some coving for bathroom , and these were polystyrene. Must be legal because sold by Homebase. What has changed? I coving fine but not tiles? or has the manufacturing process changed?
Many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back