link to 17th edition bible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
sorry guys & gals
Anyone know the link to the 17th edition regs book...not got my copy yet and need to check up???

Sponsored Links
You are not likely to find it online as it is copyright material.

What do you need to check?

I'm sure one of us will be kind enough to look it up and tell you the answer :)

Regulation 522.6.5 (v)

Im trying to find out if 20 or 25mm galvanized conduit would offer mechanical protection (its not being used as a cpc by the way)

Sponsored Links
If you earth the conduit it will satisfy (iii) so you don't need to worry about (v).

It could be argued wether or not it complies with 522.6.5 (v), but it does comply 522.6.5 (iii) providing it is earthed.

It does not have to actually be used as the CPC for the circuit, it just has to be suitable for use as the CPC.

So, using an earthed conduit (either 20mm or 25mm) satisfies regulation 522.6.5 :)

What started me off in the first place is the new regs and the RCD protection of cables buried to shallow.
I had a call about a cooker constantly tripping a split load board on the RCD side,knowing how earthy cookers can be i put it down to that but still gave the circuit the once over continuity/insulation resistance tests and checked the circuits Zs before moving it over to the non RCD side.
So i was a little concerned about the new regs and that cooker circuits being RCD protected.
I wanted to know if a could get away from placing such circuit on an RCD and looking satisfy the regs with giving the circuit mechanical protection.
Simply using metal capping doesn`t offer the protection needed so was wondering if galvanised conduit would?

If its mechanical protection you are after then galv capping does not do the job. You'd have to go for something like earthed steel conduit.

To reduce nuisance tripping of other parts on the installation you could use an RCBO for the cooker circuit.

So using earthed galv conduit (even if in running T&E and not using the conduit as a cpc) would i still need to run the conduit from CCU all the way back to the consumer unit?
OR
Would i only use a length of conduit to cover the cable as it runs down the wall to the CCU, threading the conduit to the CCU backbox with a male galvanised joint and relying on the T&E`s cpc flylink to the backbox to earth the conduit?

You only need to use earthed steel conduit for where the cable is concealed in the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back