Lintel above window to be removed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm unlucky enough to be in a regeneration zone which means that there's now lots of heavy traffic in the area as houses are demolished and plots cleared. It also means that, as soon as I move out, my house will also be knocked down. It's not the end of the world if a DIY project goes wrong. I wish to add a little value to the property before it is valued. I recently replaced the front window with a uPVC unit. I may have been over-enthusiastic using an angle grinder to remove the old window but, after the job was finished, a small crack appeared in the brick work close to the lintel. This has been filled and I've learnt something.

I plan to replace another window because the frame is particularly rotten and I already have a suitable uPVC unit. I am concerned though that the pattern of the brickwork is clearly visible from the outside but there is nothing to be seen other than a half-inch strip of wood that could be considered as a lintel. There is the full height of the house above. I'm obviously concerned about disturbing anything. Should I start looking for a hidden lintel and where should I look? Any advice other than employ an expert would be welcome. tia.

Sponsored Links
check directly above the window, on both internal and external wall, there could be two lintels in place if it's a cavity wall. They could well be made of wood, concrete, metal.
A half inch strip is not going to be it, the sections vary, but they could be 150x100mm, 150x150mm, 100x215mm or measurements close to that or could be a catnic type with a lintel to face it.
When replacing lintels, best to use props called "acros" to prevent any movement from above.

check directly above the window, on both internal and external wall, there could be two lintels in place if it's a cavity wall. They could well be made of wood, concrete, metal.

Make sure its not a wooden lintel before you get the angle grinder out

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back