lintel for garage opening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there

i have to order a lintel for an opening 7ft wide with only 6 courses of bricks above
i assume a standard concrete lintel from builders merchants will suffice

they have a 2.7m long, 100wide, 65 high
can anyone confrim I will be ok with this

tx

Sponsored Links
Is the garage double skin?
I would go belt/braces and put a 215mm instead of 100mm.
On both skins!

thanks for that , yes it is double skin with a small cavity - i was going to use 2 of the 100mm lintels = one them on each skin and maybe tie them in ?

do you think this will work

tx

What type of roof is going on the garage as this will contribute to overall load.
I would not be happy putting in a lintel that was 65mm x100mm at the span you have. At least 150mm x 100mm.

Sponsored Links
A 65mm lintel should be OK

If you have a roof load going on to this opening, then either double up the internal one (easier than lifting a 140mm deep lintel) or bed some expanded metal into the brickwork on the 2nd and 4th course

What type of roof is going on the garage as this will contribute to overall load.
I would not be happy putting in a lintel that was 65mm x100mm at the span you have. At least 150mm x 100mm.

hi there

there is no roof to support as i will be putting a car port over the top supprted by wooden posts
tx 4 yr help

A 65mm lintel should be OK

If you have a roof load going on to this opening, then either double up the internal one (easier than lifting a 140mm deep lintel) or bed some expanded metal into the brickwork on the 2nd and 4th course

tx wooody - will give it a go

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back