Lintel Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I moved into a new house last year and a problem highlighted during the survey was that the replacement UPVC french doors at the back of the house appear to have no lintel.

There are cracks in the brickwork joints which run to 5 courses high and the workmanship of the bricklaying itself is of a very poor standard, even to my untrained eye. The courses are not level and are bowed inward slightly so that there is no brick overhang at the centre of the doors, only at the corners.

As I couldn't afford remedial work immediately, I put it off till finances allowed. Last year all was fine, but recently when I opened the french doors, I had great difficulty shutting them again as they wouldn't seem to align enough to close.

I'm worried that the lack of a lintel is causing the door frames to bow and of course, isn't supporting the upper storey.

Is there a simple and economical way of rectifying this problem and how much could I reasonably expect it to cost?

Also, as a first-time householder, how do I go about finding a good builder who knows about stuctural matters? What do I look for/need to ask?

:confused:
rainy days and mondays always make me sad

Sponsored Links
If the weight of the wall is being supported atop a PVCu door and frame I'd strongly recommend that you don't open/use the door again until remedial work has been completed and that in the meantime you immediately insert a couple of Acrow props and scaffold boards (one top and one bottom, cut to size) in the door opening to carry the weight of the wall until you do the remedial work. In point of fact you should never have opened the doors to start with.

I doubt that anyone could give you an estimate for the job over the net without first seeing the full extent of the damage and knowing the size of the opening, etc. Rectification will involve supporting the wall above the door opening with something like Acrows and strongboys whilst the damaged brickwork is removed, a lintel such as a Catnic installed and the wall rebricked. Additional work, such as supporting the floor above the door opening, removing and refixing a section of the inner (blockwork?) skin and replastering/new skirtings, etc will in all probability be required. We did this on my dad's old house about 25 years ago when a timber lintel (yes, cowboy job) above a bay window failed although it was made easier by dint of having a relative who is a trade brickie (and by me being a chippy)

If in doubt about builders why not try to find one who is well established in the area (25 years or more) and for whom you can get references. They probably won't be the cheapest, but you should get more peace of mind in your dealings with them.

Whatever else you do I urge you to deal with this problem as a matter of urgency.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back