Lintel Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am doing some mods to my property and have a question regarding cutting a doorway through a wall.

The wall in question is between the garage and hall but although a 9" wall, is non load bearing i.e. runs parallel to the ceiling joists - and finishes just 3 course above the proposed doorway so an acrow would most likely be a waste of time, I may as well lift a couple of boards above and hammer-drill downwards after cutting the doorway.

A 9" lintel would be the usual I guess but surely just a bit of mesh concreted over or even timber would suffice.

Any reason why not?
Or indeed better ideas.

Also I intend cutting a section from a Concrete lintel for use as a padstone and I need to buy a lintel that needs reducing to 1300 anyway, so which would be best - a section from a new lintel or an old (50yrs) one

TIA

Sponsored Links
Make sure it’s not supporting your joists for stuff like that I use catnic lintels cheap enough, easy for one person to lift and really strong
Best wishes
Jake

Make sure it’s not supporting your joists for stuff like that I use catnic lintels cheap enough, easy for one person to lift and really strong
Best wishes
Jake
Thanks Jake.
I did think a concrete lintel to be overkill. Def sitting alongside the Joist.

I do need to install a concrete lintel elsewhere and it needs to be 1300 ideally but I am told cutting the lintel down to size is vorboden.

Any thoughts on that yourself?

Sponsored Links
My thoughts are so not cut lintels
Down they are specifically designed to spread the weight over the strength of the designed lintel… lintels come in all different lengths usually 15-20 cm over hang either end will suffice so as close as you can get to that is good if not go a little longer, never go shorter :)
Best wishes
Jake

My thoughts are so not cut lintels
Down they are specifically designed to spread the weight over the strength of the designed lintel… lintels come in all different lengths usually 15-20 cm over hang either end will suffice so as close as you can get to that is good if not go a little longer, never go shorter :)
Best wishes
Jake

Ok

This one is very important as it has an Ibeam sitting across it as well as the wall above the door.

Having said that I was advised by someone else to replace the failed bricks above & below the Concrete lintel (the one that I am replacing and extending), and below the RSJ with a section cut from a reinforced lintel, as a padstone for which I had intended using an old one for that.

mod.jpeg

There is a support wall behind this and in line with the RSJ at right angles to the door BTW.

The floor joists to the two rooms above slot into the Ibeam.

Last edited:
If your gonna do a job do it right .. not that you wouldn’t

if block work is failing replace it but it may be worth getting a structural engineer to calculate your lintel especially if there is weight from a pre existing rsj

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back