Lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_4112.png

Hi. I want to remove window and brick up. Please does anyone know if there will
Be a lintel installed? I can see the brickwork above, but unsure without taking off plaster inside. Just wanted a heads up as im sure some of you can tell from just a pic . It’s a 1937 semi detached . This is the ground floor kitchen window .

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Considering you have UPVC windows and there are no cracks in the brickwork above there is a good chance of a lintel being in there. You will only see the internal lintel if you take off internal plaster. The external one could just be a piece of angled steel...

View attachment 304684
Hi. I want to remove window and brick up. Please does anyone know if there will
Be a lintel installed? I can see the brickwork above, but unsure without taking off plaster inside. Just wanted a heads up as im sure some of you can tell from just a pic . It’s a 1937 semi detached . This is the ground floor kitchen window .

Thanks
I doubt there will be any external support other than that tile crease and header.
There will likely be a chunky concrete lintel internally.
The external brickwork is unlikely to move and won't matter once you have bricked it up.
Will it be seen after?

Sponsored Links
Hi
Thank you
I want to brick the window as we’re putting tall units there in kitchen. My concerns are when the window comes out, the wall above it moving and dropping.

Thanks

Hi
Thank you
I want to brick the window as we’re putting tall units there in kitchen. My concerns are when the window comes out, the wall above it moving and dropping.

Thanks
Hire or borrow an Acro prop and a strong boy. It would look better if you removed the headers and tile crease in any case.

I was thinking about that and getting 2 just in case. Those tiles would def be better gone, you’re right. Was quoted £900 to do it, but thought it’s only a days work. Window is approx 6 ft x 4 ft
Thank you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back