Little garage project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Needed some storage and a bit of work surface in the garage, so after much deliberation just decided to make my own as it was reasonably cheap and, way more fun ! :D

I am not a tradesman or anything, just doing the DIY around my house. So thought this would be a nice little project and hopefully would learn some more things.

So I made a concept idea in Sketchup with reasonably accurate measurements. This was a base to get started. It also made working out materials alot easier. I made lots of drawings but once it was on computer it was really easy to work things out. Great free little program !

Now a few things. I needed to allow space for a Tumble Dryer and a Washing Machine that would later be put in. I also wanted to try to incorporate some old wardrobe doors I had that I was hoping to use. So this determined the size of the cupboard sections.

Also, at first I was going to make a unit that could be moved, but this required more materials and after some thought I realised there was no point. So I decided to go with something that would be solid and fixed in place.

The garage space, tided up, with an old unit that previous owner left behind

I bought a load of 3x1s for the frame. Cheap and sturdy. (£4.70 for 4.8m)

Added one side and first legs.

Now, importantly the W/M and T/D would have to fit, and for this I lay the 3x1 on its side for the front section of that, otherwise it would raise the work surface too high.

As you can see here

Top on. For the top I just used 18mm Ply. For what I will be using it for it is good and strong. You can also see the structure of the cupboards now. All super solid !

And them doors I was able to use. Thankfully all my measurements worked out nicely !

And finished. I was able to add a drawer from the same wardrobe and the off cut of the door worked out perfectly for underneath. The drawer was a really nice addition that I am glad I put in. Handy for lots of tools etc.

Got lots of storage out of it and I still have lots of space left. The space where the washing machine will go, is just being used for some stuff for now. I am also planning to put some shelves up in the corner with that old unit that was in the first picture.

And the mitre saw is not kept there as it would not be very practical! I just put it there for storage. I actually rather use it outside to keep dust out!

It is no kitchen quality finish, but it looks great enough for my garage space ! Was lots of fun making this.

Hope you enjoy, cheers!

Sponsored Links
Looks very good - well done.

Are you going to add a row of sockets above it?
IMO you'll need them.

Yes will be getting sockets in. We only have one double socket in at the moment which is on the right side of this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back