"Live" electrical socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I wonder if someone can give me some advice. I just moved into a house where the previous occupants have replaced most of the original plastic-fronted sockets and light switches with brass or chrome effect ones. Now, I just went around the house with a cheap mains tester from B&Q - just to see if it registered any voltage on the front plates of the sockets/switches - and it did. Rather, a couple of the front plates and almost all the screws made the "12V" light up on the display and some also the "36V".

I am a bit inclined to get an electrician in to see if the sockets/switches have been fitted correctly - but do you think I am worrying unnecessarily? It's all greek to me, really.

Sponsored Links
A two probe multimeter / voltage tester? Where did you place the probes to measure voltage?

Depending where you put your probe(s) you might be getting eddy currents or induced voltages, or your earth might actually be floating and not tied to earth. :eek:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for taking an interest, guys!

I actually just touched a screwdriver-style voltage tester on the faceplate/screws.

Thanks for that! I readily accept the advice that screwdriver testers are dangerous and have no intention of sticking one directly into the live. Incidentally I don't think this one is quite a "neon" tester as it has an LCD display with different readings that appear at different voltage levels - hence the 12V/36V.

But - does that mean that any reading I am getting is completely meaningless and I should stop being paranoid - or is it at least suggestive of something that I ought to get checked out?

Thanks everyone for your advice!

Thanks for that! I readily accept the advice that screwdriver testers are dangerous and have no intention of sticking one directly into the live. Incidentally I don't think this one is quite a "neon" tester as it has an LCD display with different readings that appear at different voltage levels - hence the 12V/36V.
So how does it work? How do you use it?

You're telling us it's registering 12V & 36V - those figures must be with respect to something else. Volts are the units used to describe potential difference - another term for voltage is potential difference.

And it's the difference between two things - you can't have one thing at "x volts" without it being "at x volts with respect to {whatever}".

So between what two things are you connecting your measuring device in order to measure the voltage, or potential difference, between those two things?

But - does that mean that any reading I am getting is completely meaningless and I should stop being paranoid - or is it at least suggestive of something that I ought to get checked out?
Dunno - more detail on the tool giving you those readings, and how it works/is used would help...

I think it is like one of those neon screwdrivers that other posters have mentioned in that it measures voltage across the body. To make it operate you touch a metal contact with your finger...

I think it is like one of those neon screwdrivers that other posters have mentioned in that it measures voltage across the body. To make it operate you touch a metal contact with your finger...
I readily accept the advice that screwdriver testers are dangerous and have no intention of sticking one directly into the live.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back