Living room shares wall with communal bin shed, and gets moldy

Going by the photo and apparent age of the building, I'd be very surprised if that wall isn't insulated. Are you sure? Typically the bin store in this setup would effectively be treated as an outdoor space, with the door to the store being open to the air, for ventilation. So the insulation bubble should wrap around the inside wall of the bin store, that's the wall between your flat and the store.
The Bin shed door typically remains closed. Also, the managing agents have advised that the bin shed regularly has mold issues, and is not heated or insulated in anyway...so I guess the room has not been treated an an outdoor space. Can you tell me what would need to be done for that party wall to be treated as an outside space? Would insulation suffice?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
How is the bin store ventilated? Is the door a louvre door or what? As above answer the other questons in the thread and get some better photos, what does the wall look like inside the bin store?

Last edited:
@ John: Sorry, didn't realise you were waiting for more info. I will check for gutters and revert shortly.

Basically, we had the flat professionally redecorated in November, and also 6 months before that.
Since November, it's been DIY cleaning. Yet the mold has spread over the whole wall. I have a mp4 video which I am unable to upload.
The managing agents mentioned that damp is a constant problem in the bin shed, and as can be seen from the photo it is not insulated.

Attachments

• moldFeb2.jpeg
    moldFeb2.jpeg
    191.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Binshedwall.jpeg
    Binshedwall.jpeg
    349.4 KB · Views: 36
Sponsored Links
The water must be coming from somewhere. I wonder if the bin room is cleaned out with a hose.

(It's not a shed)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back