Load bearing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This picture shows a cupboard space in our bedroom on the top floor of a 70s-built semi with a single-pitch flat roof. The cupboard space is in block-work, or similar. It is 2 metres wide but split by a central, block-built wall.

I am inclined to remove the central wall, to make the cupboard more useful. I feel it is unlikely to be load-bearing, as the flat roof is directly above. I shall cut into the ceiling to check, but first, does anyone have any concerns?

View media item 468 :)

Sponsored Links
I got one of those in my late 60’s house & on mine, the walls at either side are load bearing. Mine support a very large full width timber beam across the front of the house, which in turn supports the roof trusses; have a look in the loft you may see the same. When installing a new en-suite, I had to leave them in situ & access through a hole further in or it was a case of going to all the hassle of installing a large I beam in the roof.

Regards the centre block wall; assuming it's not also supporting the same beam, removing it will double the span of the timbers supporting the flat roof, which in turn will make it flex more under load. It may or may not be OK, depending on the original timber sizes used, if any of the timbers straddle the centre wall (i.e. are not full width) & what condition everything is in generally. I’d certainly remove or dig a hole in the ceiling to check the flat roof construction but you’d be well advised to get someone qualified to take a look if your unsure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back