"Local" Pubs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, I've been in Brighton for just over 2 weeks now.

The one thing I was beginning to feel slightly "home-sick" over was my old local in Grantham. A place where everyone knows everyone else, where I hosted my birthday party earlier this year, and a place where you could drop into on the way home from work without worrying if you were wearing the right "trendy clothes".

Sure, I now have the "gay scene" at my disposal, but it's all a bit new and I still feel like a bit of an outsider.

However - tonight I dropped by the (straight) pub right next to where I live. I've been there once before, and as I mentioned in an earlier topic in a conversation with Thermo, I thought it was a bit of an "odd place" and perhaps the sort of pub you'd expect trouble.

This evening, however, I got into chatting with a few of the regulars, and what a great bunch they are! I seem to have been accepted with open arms, and the best thing was this: The barman cashed up the till at 11, but when a few of us suggested that we might like an after-hours drink or two, he was only too happy to oblige, and we didn't even have to pay! Apparently he can get away with it as "spillage"....

So I guess my discussion point is - what are the "local pubs" like around your way?

Sponsored Links
Why do you keep 'banging on' about being gay?

Do the rest of us keep telling everyone that we are straight/hetro/breeders?

Give it a rest will you. Who cares where you park your bike.

joe

Looking forward to the replies to that one from Joe with interest

Hi Ninebob
Ignore Joe, he doesn't know any better I'm afraid, always trying to read up on every subject he can think of while he is supposed to be sleeping the sleep of the innocence :D

When we moved to the UK over five years ago, we ended up in a small village with two pubs. One of the was a bit posh with hardly anybody talking to us (only when they found out we weren't tourist).
The other, definitely not posh, became our 'local', we made contact straight away, made some friends and with the last European footbal cup a whole lot of them supported the Dutch team (with little Dutch flags) when a match was one, great fun, great community (glad to be here ;))

Sponsored Links
Been where I live for 3 years now. Lived in the general area for 20 years!

Most local pub to us is dodgy as hell. Been in twice since living in my current abode and each time its like the music stops, everyone looks round at you and the tumble weed blows accross the front of your vision!

Give it a wide birth now as I am told that it changed hands due to the old landlord recieving death threats :confused:

Wouldnt mind but the area is not at all bad. Where do the thugs come from?

Now i travel into Leigh Broadway to have a drink and its a lot more modern and civilised!:cool:

WoodYouLike said:
The other, definitely not posh, became our 'local', we made contact straight away, made some friends and with the last European footbal cup a whole lot of them supported the Dutch team (with little Dutch flags) when a match was one, great fun, great community (glad to be here ;))

That was my point, I suppose - it pays to stray off the beaten track. By not falling for the "glass and chrome" looking places and seeking out the little scruffy place with the peeling wallpaper, you probably find the more friendly people and a great atmosphere for the evening....

ninebob said:
WoodYouLike said:

That was my point, I suppose - it pays to stray off the beaten track. By not falling for the "glass and chrome" looking places and seeking out the little scruffy place with the peeling wallpaper, you probably find the more friendly people and a great atmosphere for the evening....

See my entry above, the formula you suggest doesnt always work ;)

I think my area is just a little too urban to have any realy good 'Local' pubs.

Shame coz I know they can be great and I could do with some new friends. Getting fed up with my current ones, all they do is go down the Pub.....................DOH!!! :oops:

countygardens said:
Now i travel into Leigh Broadway to have a drink and its a lot more modern and civilised!:cool:
Is that Leigh Broadway as in Southend area?

masona said:
countygardens said:
Is that Leigh Broadway as in Southend area?

Hmmmmm..........Could be...........Why do you ask? I presume you are a 'local' ;)

masona said:
Small world, live round the corner!

Do you think 'Old Leigh' would fit the 'Local Pub' criteria on this thread?

I sometimes frequent that particular area. Purely for the lovely views you understand, not the booze....no no no......never the booze! :oops:

countygardens said:
Don't know, in my younger days my local pub used to the the Peter Boat, the smell of cockles got on my nerve though :LOL:
Great view from the pub
outside5.JPG

masona said:
countygardens said:
Don't know, in my younger days my local pub used to the the Peter Boat, the smell of cockles got on my nerve though :LOL:
Great view from the pub
outside5.JPG

Doesnt smell any better today..........hmmmmmm........not that i've BEEN there today.........that woul dbe wrong! :oops:

Sponsored Links
Back