Locate pipe behind plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening,
I need to hang a plate rack above the sink BUT the hot & cold pipes run behind the plasterboard wall.

Can you advise a tool etc that I can purchase to locate the pipes so I don’t hit them.

I use SCREWFIX / TOOLSTATION & EBAY

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
ipbr21054, good evening.

Do you know if the pipes are copper of plastic?

If copper try a strong magnet?

Ken.

ipbr21054, good evening.

Do you know if the pipes are copper of plastic?

If copper try a strong magnet?

Ken.

A magnet will not be attracted to or find copper. A metal detector, or a cable and pipe locator would find a copper pipe. Long shot - If its a plastic pipe and run some water through it, hot or cold, you might be able to spot the temperature change in the plasterboard, with an IR thermometer.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I bought a pack of anchor fixings yesterday to do a job. I only need 4 now so not sure what to do.

If I mark out where I want the rack and drill a hole should there be a pipe I then have a nice hole.

Now thinking.

Using a small flat-bladed screwdriver wiggle it through the plasterboard to form a test hole at the position you want to place a fixing. Repeat for other fixing locations. If upon penetration of the plasterboard you cannot feel a pipe then using a drill CAREFULLY enlarge the hole to the required size. It's unlikely that the pipes will be tight against the back face of the plasterboard - but you never know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back