location of fused spur/fan isolator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I understand that a shower light/fan must be fitted with an isolator - a double pole fused spur. Could this be sited in the loft - which has a fitted ladder and light - or does it have to be more accessible? Putting it in the loft would save the electrician from having to chase and fit a spur in my recently plastered hallway :)
Ta for any info

Sponsored Links
That's for your contracted electrician to decide based on the site conditions.

Most supply a fan isolator above the door to the bathroom, 9-10 times this wall is a hollow stud and cable and dry liner box can be fitted without chasing.

Depends on a/ hollow wall b/ height of ceiling c/ are noggins present in wall to obstruct fishing a cable.

Is this all new work or is the fan existing and you are just trying to get the job improved to current spec ?

Most supply a fan isolator above the door to the bathroom, 9-10 times this wall is a hollow stud and cable and dry liner box can be fitted without chasing.

both this suggestion and the OP's surely would not meet document M of the building regulations (disabled access) ?

Part M is irelevent as this is for fan maintainance...Then we start with the manufacturer wants a 3 amp double pole fused spur and part p wants a 3 pole switch.....arghhhhhhh

Sponsored Links
I have not seen any regulation that says you MUST have an isolator or a fused spur.

However since these fans do fail from time to time then it would be sensible to have a means to isolate should the fan fail and to be supplied from a 1A fuse would also mean if it were to go wrong the 1A fuse will likely blow leaving the lights working.

If feed from socket supply then you would NEED a fused spur of course.

So in view of that there seems no reason why it should not be in loft.

However unless you have no windows in your bathroom you need a way to turn on the fan without turning on the lights. Opening windows mean you don't require a fan but where required the Part F building controls come into play. (As well as Part L, J, and P) So in many houses you need an override switch anyway. Part L goes on about wasting energy think they would like us all to fit heat exchangers to our fans Can't see that happing unless the price drops a lot. And Part J talks about causing a depression in the house and drawing in fumes from flues. And finally Part P says you must pay council £100+ if you want to add anything into your bathroom which is electric.

They all make up the nanny state.

Thanks for replies :)

The wall above the bathroom door is solid brick, and recently plastered and decorated on the outside. If we don't actually require an isolator, then I would definitely settle for one in the loft, with a 1 amp fuse for reasons outlined by ericmark.

"In the Secretary of State’s view the requirements of Part M will be met by making reasonable provision to ensure that buildings are accessible and usable."

Looks to me like the key word is "reasonable", at least where private dwellings are concerned. My sockets are all below the advisory height, and the hallway doesn't allow a 1.37m wheelchair turning circle either ;)

As has been mentioned, if you take the supply from a ring main you should downrate with a dp sfu or fcu, BUT if your fan has a run-on timer you should fit a three pole isolator switch not a two pole.

I cannot see how part m can possibly apply to a fan isolator switch above the bathroom door......next you will be telling me all about wheelchair access to the loft so they can replace the fan......hmmm better change the size and spacing of joists also

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back