Lock for door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a lodger and I'm about to bring another in. The first lodger now wants a lock on his door to stop the second lodger going in his room when he is out, which means I will also have to fit a lock on both bedroom doors.

I don't want to go for the full mortace which will cost a lot to buy/fit. I was looking at a lock which you might use to lock a cabinet. It is key operated but can only be locked/unlocked when you are on the outside of the door. It's cheap and easy to fit.

Problem is, the bolt is too far out from the door which means it misses the door surround. Should I add a peice of wood to the door surround (won't look good).

Or any other ideas?

Sponsored Links
Why not fit rim night latches ('Yale locks') to the doors, which are simple to fit?

You shouldn't fit anything which could potentially have one of your lodgers locked in without being able to escape.

That's an excellent idea. Hopefully they will be easy to fit and I don't think they're too expensive.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
rim locks inside a house will instantly transform a normal domestic house into bedsit land. it will be very hard to repair the damage to the door, frame and architrave after.
mortice locks are much less obtrusive

mortice locks start at about £10. handles - about £7 a pair.
you should easily be able to find someone to fit 2 of them for £50 in the present climate, maybe cheaper. shouldn't be more than an hours work (each). most of the time will probably be spent driving to you. getting set up and clearing up after.

or learn how to do it yourself, you'll need an combination square, drill, 16mm or 18mm drill bit, hammer 1/2" chisel and 1" chisel.

maybe those guys at handles 4 doors will come and do it for you. they sound amazing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back