locking bolts for french windows

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
these are a pair of rebated french windows. The insurance requires them both to have bolts with a removable key top and bottom plus a mortice lock. They currently have ERA push bolts with a cut cylinder key, but I observe each bolt has only two fixing screws, one top, one bottom which are 3.5mm x 35mm. The bolt housings are about 100mm high. The doors are on a stone step with a thick steel water bar so it would be difficult to drill it out for mortice rack bolts and it might crack. The surface-mounted ERA bolts go into the wooden sill just inside the water bar, and the bar prevents them pulling outwards.

The fixing bolts for the screws look a bit small to me. What do you think? The bolt housings might take 4mm at a pinch but not more as the heads pass through holes in the bolt and into recesses in the casing.

Sponsored Links
What about fixing mortice bolts to the top of the doors, and leaving the push bolts on the bottom ?

Are the french doors outward or inward opening? If outward, then I'd also consider fitting hinge bolts to prevent the hinges being drilled and the doors lifted.

they open outward, and I have got hinge bolts.

yes, I could fit rack bolts at the top, but I like the idea of using the same key all round.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
If the screws came with the product - then they will have been tested along with the bolts and housings. If they needed larger screws - they would be supplied with them. I wouldn't worry - 4 of these with a mortice lock is going to take a fair bit of punishment. Anyone that keen on making an entry - will do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back