Locks and "Bumping"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been seeing a lot of emails and internet articles on the "BUMPING" of locks......Do you learned chaps reckon its something that should be taken seriousley or is it a lot of Hot air....If "bumping" is a genuine threat to security are these "anti-bumping" locks worth investing in!!!!

Sponsored Links
Bumping only works on cylinder locks.

In the UK, it is normal to have a BS deadlock on your front door (or "final Exit Door" if you prefer) and your household insurance probably insists on it.

If you want a BS lock, it is far cheaper and easier to get a lever mortice lock, rather than one of a very few cylinder locks that meet this requirement.

So from my perspective, and remembering that most cylinder nightlatches are weak and insecure, I don't see it as much of a problem. It is pretty easy to burst a nightlatch off by shouldering the door, without going to the trouble of bumping it, and the shoulder needs little practice and no equipment.

Life is more difficult if you have a plastic door with a Eurocylinder.

Interesting question. Several colleague’s have told me that they see it on occasion, but it is difficult to quantify as a well "bumped" cylinder is left with little signs of the "bumping".
The failings of the cheap euro cylinders that proliferate the market are many. This why my heart sinks when I read on this forum advice for people to replace their euro cylinders with a cylinder costing less than £ 10.
There is a reason it costs less than £ 10. Its rubbish! You get what you pay for.
We fit a lot of cylinders to residential blocks of flats and for choice I recomend the Kaba p extra cylinder. Anti bump.
http://www.kaba.com/cylinders-locks/en/Sales-Support/81668/downloads.html
Many other good high end cylinders are available.
At the end of the day you can not buy a good nights sleep. Invest in good quality locks.
DC
Teamlocksmiths.

Sponsored Links
Most burglaries are by something "bumped" through a glass or ply/plastic panel and not from a bump key, or purely opportunistic through an open window or door

The "bump key" has reached glamour status purely due to one particular locksmithing forum, and the casual googler ending up there, and then telling their mates the next day how insecure their locks are now

Unless a hammer/bolster/mole grips is used on the cylinder, or a cigarette lighter is involved on the panel :rolleyes:

... If you want a BS lock, it is far cheaper and easier to get a lever mortice lock, rather than one of a very few cylinder locks that meet this requirement....

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
life is more difficult for you, if you are a householder who wants to make his house more secure, if you have a plastic door with a Eurocylinder :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back