Loft and nails in timber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was in the loft at the weekend and noticed that the timber roof frame has nails sticking out where the builders have been a bit "slap dash" during the construction. A quick scan and I counted about 9 nails each sticking out by at least 2". I personally think this is pretty shocking in terms of health and safety - the expansion tank for the central heating is up there and we've had a guy installing alarm cable up there in the past too. Someone could quite easily do themself some nasty injury if they stood up and impaled themselves on one.

Anyway, I'm moving out this week but if I find the same in my new build house should I kick up a fuss? And should I mention it to our purchasers? I think I should.

Sponsored Links
It's a common specification to use an oversize nail to join two trusses together. The nail however should be bent over afterwards. This is known as clinching. I think the phrase clinch the deal comes from this practice.

Your right, it is sloppy to leave them unclinched and I would add it to your snag list.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

And watch out for nasty splinters from the timber, and bits of dust floating around.

Just provide big ball of cotton wool for people to wear in the loft
:rolleyes:

Surely if they could bang their head, as you normally can in a loft, contractors working there should wear a hard hat ;)

Sponsored Links
That`s not the worst thing I`ve found in a loft :eek: ..once there was Felis Faecum :mad: and another time there was a RichardIII.........but they were historic houses :rolleyes: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back