Loft Carpet Underlay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Just converted the loft, which is going to have a carpetted bedroom and family room up there.

After being fobbed off by Carpetright with just their PU ranges, Im learning their might be better alternatives...

I see Cloud 9 Cumulus has been popular, which looks to be PU based, Carpetright 'suggested' the Tredaire Dreamwalk 11mm, and now a rubber suggestion has been thrown into the mix.

Carpet is going to be a 100% PP type (kids..).

Another help would be appreciated thanks. (Or a link to a good guide, at risk of asking the same question again..)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Right.

Read that nowadays PU is not necessarily inferior to rubber?

So I think 2 choices atm:
(1) Go PU. Tredaire Dreamwalk seems to be okay
(2) Rubber waffle. Duralay Majestic 130.

When i get the stairs done. Rubber waffle or if PU is as good i can use that?

I've just put down Cloud 9 Cumulus and have no complaints. My understanding was the rubber waffle can break down over time with heat / cold cycle caused by central heating, however not sure how long this takes, might be 10/15 years in which case probably not such an issue.

Also, I would consider which type gives the best insulation if it's going to be in the loft (I guess as a result of your conversion that your house lost a bit of insulation overall, might help keep a bit more heat downstairs)

I purchased tredaire dreamwalk in the end. Was seconds away from buying the rubber duralay majestic, but not sure i wanted to stick a load of rubber down. (My bit for the environment).

I was going to get the carpet co to install but all they would say is "weve got a 10mm PU", which my understanding is that could be anything.

The loft conversion probably helped to insulate the house as it was a very old roof...

Sponsored Links
The underlay is down, what i learnt:
1) Carpetright massively over calculated the amount of underlay i need. I have 2 full rolls leftover...
2) It isnt as easy as youd think not to touch the gripper nails. My fingers feel like pincushions.
3) I need a sharper blade. The new stanley blade i used was pathetic, it easily doubled the installation time for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back