Loft condensation, again.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes its that old wet chestnut, condensation in a loft.

We moved into this 1960s bungalow in May this year. All well until we had a problem with condensation last month, specifically windows streaming with water, a smell of mildew in the bedrooms and newly hung wallpaper that wouldn't dry. So I bought a dehumidifier which solved the problem in our living areas very quickly. However, during the current cold snap the breathable lining in our roof space has visible water droplets on the underside across most of the roof. There was no obvious ventilation in the loft so I installed soffit vents and put some lap vents in, but it doesn't seem to have made any difference. We have a good 250mm of insulation on the loft floor and the loft hatch is well sealed. The roof was replaced by a previous owner about 15 years ago.

I read somewhere that installing insulation boards between the rafters can help by limiting the cold areas where condensation can form. Would that help or might it cause other problems?

Sponsored Links
I've just seen a post where someone has suggested condensation in lofts is normal during very cold weather. Perhaps I should wait till this current cold spell is over in order to properly assess the extent of the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back