Loft Conversion blog - scary reading

M

marsaday

http://www.myloftextension.co.uk/

This blog is about a loft conversion in London. It is a detailed account of his loft conversion with lots of photos. It really is a great read.

This was not a self renovation project, but a contractor horror show.

At the end it details the name of the director and his company names.

Sponsored Links
Liking the electrical chasing in this one:

Dsc01095.jpg

£10 says it's not in SWA, steel-conduit or flexishield :LOL:

I know (through the internet) the chap whose extension this is - and I remember all of the stresses and strains as the work was being carried out.

Definately worth reading the full blog if you have the time.

Sponsored Links
I know (through the internet) the chap whose extension this is - and I remember all of the stresses and strains as the work was being carried out.

Definately worth reading the full blog if you have the time.

It's ***** isn't it?

Well it makes for a good read. Don't have a great deal of sympathy for the chap though.
He was inspired (...by someone who clearly spent a lot of time planning and designing and researching), and then proceeded without plans, drawings, or discussions, to part with £30k for the first builder who shows up and says he can get it done in record time.

More money than sense if you ask me.

I suspect it's a case of the prime contractor not wanting to go to the effort of getting paperwork all in order and correct prior to start...

You raise a very good point, who would want to part with £30K without knowing what they're getting for it?

I haven't read the blog but to employ a contractor on a £30k job you found off google because he had a nice website beggars belief

How many times are we told to get someone who comes with a personal recommendation and have a look at their work beforehand

Which is all well and good but what if you don't have anyone who

1: you trust enough to give said reccomendation
2: has used contractors of that type in the fairly recent past and knows of some that aren't too busy
3: is in the same area

Liking the electrical chasing in this one:

Dsc01095.jpg

£10 says it's not in SWA, steel-conduit or flexishield :LOL:

Safe zones what safe zones :?: :?: :D :D

And with the aircon, why place the condenser up so high outside and make it so hard to get to, to service or repair it.

i place the out side units up high now as i'v had some stolen !!!!!!

I feel for that guy, I really do. Like said to have the patience and to be able to write up a cheery blog about it all says quite a lot about his character. I'd have gone ballistic at the mess they left in the back yard alone.

I work in the construction trade (Mechanical Services) so I know the importance of having all drawings, specs and H&S documents approved and signed off well before work on site starts. I also know not to pay a penny for something that hasn't been done yet but has been claimed for!!

BUT, to someone who doesn't appreciate these things, there are some very harsh ways to learn.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back