Loft conversion completion certificate

CPC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HELP!

I am trying to work out whether a certificate that shows a loft conversion has complied with Buidling Regulation Sect 1 (3) of the Building Act 1984 means the room can be used legally as a bedroom....

I am trying to sort this out as I want to make sure the house I am trying to buy is leaglly a 3 bed or 2 bed....

Hope anyone can help!!!

Sponsored Links
Generally when a loft conversion is carried out and achieves Building Regulations compliance the Building Inspectors will have assumed that the loft would be used as a bedroom.

If it's described as a 3 bed and the regs certificate is valid then it's a 3 bed.

Only thing I would say is that I've seen plenty of loft conversions with building regs certificates that didn't actually comply. Some Building inspectors can be very lax.

Hello.

Your solicitor should be asked to check what planning permissions and building regulation consents there are. The vendor would also be asked by your solicitor to complete a set of pre-contract enquiries which includes questions such as have there been any building works or alterations. You should ask your solicitor for a set of all this information because not all solicitors have seen the property so cannot match up what is on paper to what is on site. If there are any discrepancies, your solicitor can obtain an indemnity insurance for works which do not have the necessary consents. Any losses you incur would be covered by the indemnity insurance.

Recently, a building regs officer said that building regs are necessary when the room is to be habitable. So if it was made to be a habitable room then it would require building consent. Check on your local authority webpage for planning permission requirements if there is no planning permission. There are questions such as has the property already been extended, and what is the cubic capacity of the extension.

Also ask your solicitor if any warranties or guarantees were provided for the work. These might detail requirements for building regs.

If this helps, please click on the "thanks" button. Thx.

Sponsored Links
So what's the contest and what's the prize DD ?

And I agree with FMT on this one.

FMT messages people after he has provided advice... jokes :p

Anyway, back on topic :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back