Loft conversion - front windows - permitted development

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Still looking into this. Have just been reading through http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/100806_PDforhouseholders_TechnicalGuidance.pdf

You can see my design idea here: https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1DLW1ZwAmwQUzciMXVy5CGzPTpniB9WaZ5OtDl81PeH0/edit

the front is at the bottom. The left side is open, a neighbours drive is there and house (they have only frosted windows on this side of their house). On the right is the house we are attached to (mirror image of ours).

Front of my house: View media item 90048
Now, as I understand it, if I wanted clear Velux down the left side they would have to be obscured glass and over 1.7m off the floor. So a bit odd, but we will need the light.

I was not going to use the front part, instead making it a storage room. But, I cannot see any restrictions on adding windows to the front of a house, so I was thinking of having one in the centre of the front left side. Is that OK? Or did I miss something in the document (that I did not quite read in full ...)?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
A window on thr front wall would be p.d., unless your p.d. rights have been removed by a previous planning permission.

Looking at the photo I'd be surprised if any PD rights were not conditionally removed as part of the original house planning permission.

Sponsored Links
Council came back with: "I can advise you that I was unable to find any conditions which removed permitted development rights with regards to loft conversions at the above property."

:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back