Loft Conversion-ish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Wondering if I can have a bit of assistance.

Before we go too far into it, please bear in mind, i'm just batting ideas around here and won't be doing anything without a SE/Architect/Building Control approval, no need to panic. Also, I don't want to involve them until i've got a clear idea of what I want to achieve.

So, with that in mind, i'm thinking about making my loft a useable space.

I currently have it boarded out with stuff up there, but it's an absolute tiny amount of insulation and the ceiling josits are only 3x2. Ideally i'd like to strengthen the ceiling joists to 6x2 and at the same time, get the recommended amount of insulation up there.

I'd also like to do this as cheaply as possible.

Problem: The current loft is, from what I can gather, referred to as a collar braced roof I believe.

This basically means that the ceiling in my upstairs is higher than the wall plates. My upstairs ceilings are curved in the corners to follow the angle of the timber.

The rafters come down from the ridge, are supported by purlins in the middle and then are sat on the exterior wall plate, running over the interior one.

This is all supported by purlins, which go right through the party wall and also sit on load bearing walls at hipped side, which are standard brick and run right through the house from the ground floor.

This is the best image I can find to explain:

https://environment7.uwe.ac.uk/resources/constructionsample/Conweb/house_ages/1930s1hip.jpg

Although this differs slightly as it shows the ceiling joists sat on the wall plate.

The main problem I have is that the ceiling joists are only nailed to the rafters, and are barely load bearing at all.

There is a piece of timber that runs perpendicular to the ceiling joists in the middle and they are all nailed to it, but as far as I can tell, this isn't supported elsewhere.

As you can see, this doesn't give me scope to strengthen the floor much at all, as almost any additional load will cause problems.

I know the above is confusing and I will add pics if necessary to explain the situation.

The only other way I can think to do something would be too bolt a wall plate to the party wall, and also a wall plate to the walls holding the purlins up, and essentially build a new floor off of these with joist hangers. would that be feasible or am I over engineering it?[/b]

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back