Loft conversion lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone
Sorry if this has been asked before I did try searching it.

Im in the process of converting my loft and want to add 3 ceiling spotlights.

I can easily cut into the upstairs lights supply and add a junction box to supply the power for this. Ive been told that I can just run a cable from this junction box to the new switch and from then on to the 3 lights, leaving the neutral intact and just having the live broken by the switch.

I see from the diagrams on here this is not the correct way of doing it but is it still acceptable to do it this way?

Also is it ok legally for me to do this myself anyway or does it need an electrician?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Its a new circuit and needs to be done to the 17th edition wiring regulations. is the old circuit upto the 17th edition?

Also is it ok legally for me to do this myself anyway or does it need an electrician?
When you applied for Building Regulations approval, what did you say would be the way you'd ensure the electrical work would comply with Part P?

Adding a light to an existing circuit is not notifiable, which is what this is.

A new circuit is back to the consumer unit.

My loft lights are just connected into the bathroom lighting JB - if I was wiring it now I would take it back to the CU for its own circuit, but it's not worth the disruption for the unlikely event the lights trip whilst im in the loft

Sponsored Links
Adding a light to an existing circuit is not notifiable
Indeed not.

But a loft conversion is, the electrical work has to comply with Part P (notifiable in its own right or not) and if LABC are to issue a certificate saying that the loft conversion complied with the Building Regulations they'll want to know how the electrics will comply.

hi thanks for the replies.

Saying converting my loft may have been a bit misleading.
It isnt high enough to convert into a proper room so basically I have boarded half the floor out fixed plaster board to the roof joists and plastered.

I dont need to get building regs to do that do I?

It will never be classed as a bedroom so no.
Best to informally ask the building control office. Some will require notification if the space can be used for a games room. model railway layout etc etc. They may also be prepared to give advice about floor loading based on the size of the joists. Many lofts have joists that are intended only to support the weight of the ceiling below. boarding out and storing items on such joists can end up with bending joists and cracking ceilings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back