loft conversion regs. can i be prosecuted.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

if anyone knows anything I'd be grateful.

I fitted a flight of stairs to a loft conversion that had been built with a drop down ladder.

I told the owner they'd need building regs. i know it doesnt meet fire regs without a door to an open plan lounge.

Am i responsible for that as I feel that should a fire occur their kids could be trapped.

Feel I should let the council know but dont want to be the one they blame.

Cheers for any advice

Dave

Sponsored Links
It's nice that you're taking the moral & caring stance.

After you've been paid. :rolleyes:

It is ultimately the responsibility of the homeowner to achieve Building Regulations compliance however how much emphasis you placed on doing the job right and whether you put that in writing at the time is down to your conscience really. Would the job have died had you insisted on doing it right?

Have you been paid for the job yet? It does seem a little peculiar you seem concerned now?

If you have not invoiced yet I would add a note on the invoice that you fit the stairs only on the strict understanding that the room must be used only for storage and must not be used as habitable space without satisfying full building regs.

Sponsored Links
Will tell you what we think.
We would never, ever carry out any work for any one that contravened the fire regulations.
We would, never ever sign a piece of paper, saying that we are knowingly carrying out work, or have carried out work that is contravening the fire regulations and could be placing some ones life in jeopardy.
I have great respect For Freddy Merc and Jed, but in my opinion the advice that they gave you, is way out of order.
They should have been giving you a good b******ing, instead of telling you how to cover your back.

We quote below your post from another thread ten minutes before this post

Posted by yeahmate.: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:31 am Post Subject:
sprinklers
Hi,
you may have this sorted by now but we had a similar issue. Our options were to install an escape route cutting the lounge in half or a sprinkler protection system.

We went for a sprinkler costing £1500 to cover the lounge.
With fire regs there isn't any grey area. Its all laid out in the regs. You need a protected route from the building for rapid escape.

End of quoter.

As you so clearly know the fire regulations, and you know in your own mind that it is not going to be used for storeage, you should be ashamed of your self and in our opinion, yes you are 100% responsible, especially where kids are concerned.

hi,

Am i responsible for that as I feel that should a fire occur their kids could be trapped.

Dave

old un.

I agree with almost everything you said oldun and I certainly would never advise anybody to carry out work that contravenes fire regulations. But it's not a question of should he do it - he's allready done it. The question is what can he now do to go some way to protecting himself. Short of returning and ripping out the staircase I don't see much option.

I do see your point Oldun but the OP appears to have already done the work and is now apparently (rightly so) panicking! Many builders out there have work coming out their ears and can easily turn work down however for others it is not such a rosy picture and until we know the full story it is kinda hard to comment. Wrapping the OPs knuckles before he's had a chance to put his side down can often just leave the thread unanswered by the OP.

Well, as you two young gentleman still do not fully grasp my point, or my reasons for telling you why I considered you out of order by advising the Op how to try and cover his back, then all I will say is this.
I would need another hand to count up my kids and grand kids on, and to me they are the most precious gift in life that I have ever been given.
Please read the quote below again two or three times and think about it.

hi,

Dave

Thought about it. Good, now do you fully see my point.

Sincerely old un.

did you see them do anything with it, or did you just leave it as a bare space with stairs and boards?

No still don't see your point, seemingly he's done the work, been paid and is now having a conscience trip wondering if he should have done otherwise. As far as we know he told the client it didn't comply but was instructed to proceed anyway! Or maybe not!

As mentioned: no point condemning the guy without just cause.
Wrapping the OPs knuckles before he's had a chance to put his side down can often just leave the thread unanswered by the OP.
Oh look he's not bothered to reply, somehow I doubt he will, especially now!
The question is what can he now do to go some way to protecting himself. Short of returning and ripping out the staircase I don't see much option.
What would your advice to the OP be at this stage in the game? Shop him to BC?

The work's done and isn't going to be undone. My advice stands that he should at least tell them (warn them if you like) preferebly in writing - that they should use the space only as storage and should not consider using it as habitable without satisfying full regulations. I don't think it will fully protect him if there is a problem but at least he will have tried.

By installing a staircase, the homeowner has deemed the space readily accessible and potentially habitable.

The tradesman that installed it has a professional obligation to advise and that's it.

At what point does a loft actually become habitable space?

Stairs. Insulation. Floor. Windows. Occupancy - if so, for what period of time?

Interesting one, from a point of law at least.......?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back