Loft extension bathroom fan- where to duct.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we have a property which had a loft extension.

Since we bought the property. I asked my sparky to change the fAn.

He than said the fan is venting into the small loft space(where roofing timbers are). .
Given roofer is coming at some point this week to do some other repairs, it's a good chance for me to get this ducted out.

Ok my sparky said not to duct into a roof tile , as you get condensation issues. He said just duct into the gable(with a 4 inch corner drill?

What are your thoughts?

In addition, given the roofer is coming, is it worth me venitaling the roof in general? My home buyers report said the roof could do with my ventilation. There's no soffit holes and the roofer said the felt isn't the modern ventilated one.

Sponsored Links
Tell your sparks to stick to wires not ducting.

You can vent to a suitable tile no problem.

Presumably the sparky means if there's a vertical run through a cold space you can get condensation dropping back through the fan. but it's no problem to insulate the duct. Even if it vents through the gable the condensation has to go somewhere, just it's more likely to evaporate again or soak in somewhere rather then run into the fan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back