Loft Extension Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am currently doing a loft extension and i need clarification on the thickness/type of insulation required legally.
I have heard that it needs to be 100mm thick but does it have to be a certain type ie insulation board or polystyrene or that roll stuff?
Obviously i would like the board but it is way expensive, like £30 for 2.4mx1m and the polystyrene is that much cheaper.
Anyone know exactly what i should use and the most cost effective method? This insulation is to go between the ceiling joists.
Thanks
Lee

Sponsored Links
Anything other than celotex/kingspan will be impractical as it will need to be really thick

Its not just a case of being 100mm thick, you need some between the rafters and some across the underside (or outside) of the rafters to form a continuous layer. How much of each will vary.

You may also need to maintain a 50mm air gap below any felt - so this may determine the insulation board sizes

This insulation is to go between the ceiling joists.Thanks
Lee

hey woods can't you read. :LOL:

you will require a minimum total 270mm thickness of *fibreglass insulation between joists and across, in the loft.

this can be done with say 150mm between the joists and another 150mm layer across the joists. ok, you will end up with 300mm, more the merrier i say.

*edited to add fibreglass.

When you say you're doing it "legally", I assume you mean to the relavent building regulations, which in this case is covered by Part L1b. If you notify this work to your local authority, the required amount of insulation will be dictated by the total U value of the combined surfaces, i.e. plaster board + skim, insulation, air gap diatance, etc. The two main insulation manufacturers Kingspan and Celotex have very useful help lines that will tell you what thickness insulation you require for your given situation.

Sponsored Links
This insulation is to go between the ceiling joists.Thanks
Lee

hey woods can't you read. :LOL:

you will require a minimum total 270mm thickness of *fibreglass insulation between joists and across, in the loft.

Yes I can read you can't :p

Its a loft conversion, he don't need 270mm in the floor :rolleyes:

Anyway, I took it that the ceiling joists will be the new ceiling joists ie the rafters! :oops:

If he means the floor, then its 100mm rockwool, nothing else - its for fire resistance. And on chickenwire too.

Note to self - use BIG font on noseall's plans in future. lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back