Loft flooring advice please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im looking for some advice if anyone can please help

I'm going to board my loft and I need to put some beams across the loft to lay the chip board on. The only problem is I have this annoying peice of wood going diagonally across the loft. Is my best option to take this off and then screw pieces of wood across the joists at right angles. Can I even do that? Or would my best option be to lay the pieces of wood at right angles to the joists but work and cut around this diagonal piece? I've drawn a picture to explain what I mean. At the moment my loft is as picture 1, is my best option 2 or 3? As you can see I'm an amateur so any advice would be good.im going to use the same size wood going diagonally for my beams going at right angles to the joists. Maybe if I can take out this piece of wood I will use slightly higher beams to give the insulation more room.

Sponsored Links
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Technically speaking their should be diagonal bracing on the bottom cord between where it meets the top cord and the compression cord across the first 4 trusses. Similar to your picture.
To be honest I can't remember the last time I saw this done what's normally just done is lateral bracing across all truss bottom cords at the apex of the bottom and top cords and the bottom and tension/compression cords as you suggest you want to do.

Sponsored Links
what does that brace do? I haven't got one in my trussed roof, but I have got spliced diagonals on both sides of the ridge. the roofer told me they were only useful during build, and didn't do anything on a finished house.

Nor have I come across one like that, a diagonal brace. It most likely doesn't achieve anything worthwhile other than just being nuisance.

looks like it's doing all of the bottom chord bracing in that roof. I was taught to put diagonal bracing across the first 4 trusses at either end. But a quick search across the net seems to imply it is more of a North American thing.

Take it out , chipboard screwed down is much better brace , if u want tho u can put flat metal strapping alongside it, remove bracing and floor over strapping :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back