Loft flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to fit chipboard flooring in the loft to make a sort of hobby, chill room where I can carry out my Home Brew making. I want to know if the following would be a good idea or not.

I live in an ex council mid terraced 3 bedroom house just outside Glasgow. I think they were built in the 50's.

My loft is approx 24 feet in length and center section that I can actually use is about 12 feet wide. The rest being about 6 feet either side sloping to nothing under the eaves.

The original joists seem pretty thin to me say approx 3x2 or 4x2 something like that.
Running the full length of the loft on either side and down the center is a much bigger sturdier beam or puller or whatever they are called.

I was wondering would it be a good idea to hang loft joists onto these pullers along with a new joist sitting the floor on them?
Would this mean that the large pullers would be taking all the load bearing weight?
I know I will lose some precious height but would this be the way to go?

If so what size of joists and joist hangers would u recommend thickness and width wise? (they will be approx 6 foot in length from left puller to middle and from middle puller to right)
Or is this all just waste of time and would I be better and safe enough just throwing the flooring onto the old original narrow joists?

I have other things to ask regards the loft but would like this dealt with first.

Would greatly appreciate some opinions thoughts and guidance on this matter tyvm.

Sponsored Links
how well are your loft joists, supported by walls below.
I am not a SI, but introducing additional weight to the purlins may effect the stability of the structure support.

I dont really know its just a standard mid terrace ex council house with a loft underneath 3 bedrooms that's all i know.

Best do a little investigation in to the positioning of loft joists to supporting walls (not stud walls) and the span of the joists between them.
So some homework is required, before your question can be given an informed reply.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back