Loft hatch door insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My swing down loft hatch door has been insulated by some thick polythene with loft insulation material inside. It's very dirty and does look very efficient. I have a sheet of expanded polystyree. Does it contravene any regulations to glue the polystyrene on the inside of the Hardboard door. Perhaps to a thickness of a couple of inches?
I would appreciate others opinions and hope this has not been answered elsewhere.
Crew

Sponsored Links
Doesn't contravene anything but you may find that the exp.poly is too fragile and will spill "crumbs" whenever you brush against it in use,

Extruded poly or PIR board ( search) is much harder and thus will not shed bits nearly as easily.

Don't forget that the dirt/dust now on your existing insulation will be exactly equal on any other insulation you put there.

EDIT

. It's very dirty and does look very efficient

Should that have read "...doesn't look very efficient ?

If it should, then the dirt makes no difference unless there is so much that it is compressing the insulation .

Thanks Mointainwalker, a very good point about the fragility of expanded poly and thanks for the suggested alternatives. I am aiming to improve the insulation as it looks inefficient. I am so glad you know what I mean even if I don't (or don't make it clear).
Thanks again, Crew

Sponsored Links
IMO a bag of fibreglass would chafe and wear, and shower irritating fibres on you when you opened the hatch.

This I find very irritating to the throat, eyes and skin.

I would be happer with a rigid foamed board, or even that white plastic-fibre quilt that does not shed irritating dust.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back