Loft insulatio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently up to the stage in my loft conversion of insulating in between the reffter's. I have got left a lot of the itchy fibre glass insulation. I believe this is ok to use . What is it like for keeping the sound out and what is the best way to get it to stay in the reffter's. Is it ok to keep it in with string before my plaster board goes up ?

Sponsored Links
you will need very deep rafters for fibreglass insulation to be effective or meet current u value standard. :eek:

is this a loft conversion with building reg's or a diy loft space 'enhancement'?

mainly a diy loft space enhancement. But i might be using it as a office. Want are the disadvantages of using this fibre glass ?

the amount that you may cram in between a rafter will offer some thermal insulation but no where near enough as to be efficient. a lot of heat will escape.

at least you will never have snow on your roof. ;)

there will also be issues of condensation which could lead to mould or rot.

Sponsored Links
What is the right stuff to be used is this not ment to be for the rafte's. Why could condensation come. Sorry just trying to understand. I do appreciate your help.

Can somebody help me out want to get this done asap. So dont ppl use the fibre glass as insulation in the rafter's. Is it not ment for there and is it very likely as said to cause problems ?

look at using celotex or kingspan which are rigid foam type insulators.

to meet reg's you would need 85mm between and 25mm under-draw.

you may also need an air gap too.

My rafters are only 3 x 2 which is 75 mm. If i need 85mm to meet regs how am I going to do that ?

Thanks

Thanks again for advice. The problem I have got if I add more timber I will lose head height and I can just about stand up now in the highest point and I am only 5ft 5 inches.

If I only have 3 inches of lagging insulation and a heater up there, will itbe freezing ?

if you are not trying to make it a habitable room, just a clean storage area, then even 50mm of insulation wil make a substantial difference.

But you talk about "loft conversion" and "plasterboard" and "heater" and "office," so I do not think you accept that it will just be a storage area. Perhaps you are one of those people who want to make a cheap loft conversion that does not meet proper standards. we get a lot of them on here. Some of then want their lodgers or children to sleep or play in an area with papers, a heater, no proper stairs, and no fire exit.

... 85mm between and 25mm under-draw...
Just curious noseall. What's 'under-draw'?

a layer tacked to the underside of the rafters going completely across them. it provides a barrier to thermal bridging at the rafter junctions.

without the underdraw the rafters may become 'visible' on a cold day, even through a layer of plasterboard and skim. this is due to the temperature differential occurring at these junctions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back