Loft Insulation - Couple of Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a terraced house which has had its loft converted. There is still some loft above the conversion, but the way the conversion has been done, the walls and ceilings slope along the profile of the inside of the roof. What this means is that if you go into the loft, on either side, there is a gap of about 30cm in depth (between underside of roof and internal plasterboard wall) which runs down the side of the room, to the eaves of the roof.

I did a poor job of insulating the loft last winter, where I basically ran insulation lenghtwise over the celing beams as there was already old insulation between the beams. However, it's messy and I want to re-do it.

While I was up there I noticed that in many of the gaps between the roof and room walls, insulation has been stuffed down the gaps, which in my opinion, although it will essentially insulate the walls of the room below, it is stopping air flow from the eaves.

As far as I know there are no problems with damp or rot, so I have the quandry of do I leave it or should I remove it because it's a problem waiting to happen.... will removing it cause the walls of the room to get cold and thus possibly develop condensation?

So really the 2 questions are:

1. Should I remove or leave this insualtion that is down between the roof and the walls.
2. Is the B&Q deal any good where they partner with British Gas and charge £198 to insulate 50 sq m of loft?

Sponsored Links
Hi my advice on your second question is to look about it depends what area you live in but most local councils have there own schemes for cavity wall and loft insulation up hear in the n/e you would only pay £99.00 for each measure. but certain areas the £198.00 is not bad look around.if you live in the north contact me and i could put you in the right direction with one of these schemes

Thanks for the reply. I'm in central Scotland.

I'll give the council a call and see what they say. Would be nice to get it done properly for such little cost.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back