loft insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
had loft insulated but they have gone across the joists so we cannot board it.thought it had to go between joists.

Sponsored Links
had loft insulated but they have gone across the joists so we cannot board it.thought it had to go between joists.

latest building regulations ask for a combination of both.

we tend to fit 150mm between and the same thickness across. ;)

Annoying isn't it? Almost as annoying as all the wiring for the lights laying across the top of the joists, so I have to get my chisels out and fix it all before getting started :(

Annoying isn't it? Almost as annoying as all the wiring for the lights laying across the top of the joists, so I have to get my chisels out and fix it all before getting started :(

i find the thought of having plenty loft insulation rather reassuring.

loft floors are NOT designed to carry any kind of live load.

those that are designed as an attic or loft room will also incorporate rafter insulation.
:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I have a new home and also have this issue with second layer of insulation runiing at 90 degrees. I was just going to put down some chipboard panels anyway over the insulation (after checking for cables of course.

I want to use the loft as extra storage for things like Christmas decorations, out of season clothes, suitcases etc, so nothing too heavy.

Don't see why I couldn't :oops:

Can anyone tell me why I can't? :confused:

you can do what you like.

all i stated was that loft joists are not DESIGNED to carry a load.

also by compressing the insulation you reduce the effectiveness of the insulation by reducing the volume of air within the quilt.

In one of my loft areas (three extensions - nightmare lmaze loft space) I put down extra insulation, but because it was only about 2.5 metres across, I nailed a couple of 2x2" to the roof joists above the insulation layer across the roof space. I can now place light stuff over the new 2x2" and the fibre isnt compressed.

Should be good enough for the lightweight things you talk about.

James

incidently, my wife has stacked a load of stuff in our loft, so i wasn't being pedantic. :LOL:

I am a bit curious about loft joists not designed to carry live loads.

My loft was boarded when the house was built 1930ish time, and the joists are just the same as the rest of the house. Does this apply to all houses or just the new builds?

Thank you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back