Loft Joist not resting on CENTRAL beam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

New home owner here. Bought a house that was built in 1955. As far as I know, no serious repairs or conversion took place. I wanted to convert my Loft into storage space, nothing much, but then I found some of the loft hoist are rather badly supported. Half of the joist lay on top of the WB wall. However, the other half, the once above the stairs and upper landing, are weirdly supported on a small piece of wood that is nailed to the central beam. See images for reference. Is this was the right way of doing things or there were some cowboy builders back in the days, too? can I safely build storage space on these joists?

Sponsored Links
Yes that's one way, but the gap is from movement over time.

Fit some (about 200mm) 12mm ply or 25mm timber each side to extend the joist and close the gap

Yes that's one way, but the gap is from movement over time.

Fit some (about 200mm) 12mm ply or 25mm timber each side to extend the joist and close the gap

But these joists are resting on a 2cm x 2cm wood that has been nailed to the supporting beam. shouldnt the joist be more secured than that? I worry that the weight of the storage is going to collapse it.

Get a length of 30 x 5 steel strap from your local builder's merchant and cut it to 12" lengths. Bend them at right-angles and screw to the top of the joist and the side of the beam - the strips come with holes pre-drilled.
Not 100% ideal, but better than perching the beam on a strip of 2cm x 2cm.

Attachments

• 2021-12-11_082322.pdf
    277.5 KB · Views: 100
Sponsored Links
Thanks for help! After that, do you reckon I could board it up for some storage space? I dont expect super heavy weights, but definitely considate amount.

Thanks for help! After that, do you reckon I could board it up for some storage space? I dont expect super heavy weights, but definitely considate amount.
Normally lofts are designed for 25kg/m2 - I guess it was something similar in the 1950s.

Basicallly a sack of spuds or a bag of sand for every square metre. If you are going to exceed that locally better to do it over any supporting walls or near the supports. Not where the joists have inadequate bearing though (y)

Last edited:
That's an old fashioned joist hanger, it's a wonder things stay up sometimes! Because the weight is mostly perpendicular to the nailed on wood it works quite well as long as it's tight enough.

Thanks guys! Shall I use nails or screws to secure that steel strap onto joists?

what size screw?
As you are shopping in TS then I suggest one of these these screws (note that you change the screw size with the drop down tab):
https://www.toolstation.com/single-thread-countersunk-pozi-screw/p63953

Their diameter should be slightly smaller than the hole.
I 'guess' they are 5mm dia holes (check in shop).

In this case Length does not really matter as long as it is 30mm or longer (I tend to aim for >25mm of screw in the fixing material).
But you do not want screw to go right through wood (as it becomes a cut hazard to your hands and cables).

So presuming a 5mm hole and normal sized wood and choosing a size you can also use later elsewhere, I would get:
'5.0mm x 45mm' https://www.toolstation.com/single-thread-countersunk-pozi-screw/p15931

will of course pre drill, right?
I would not normally pilot the hole (they should go straight in) unless the wood is looking a bit dodgy or thin, or the screw is to go near the edge.

SFK

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back