Loft light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to workout what way to install a light fitting and switch in the attic. There seems to be a single core cable running between the existing light fittings above the ceiling. I was told this is the way builders are installing circuits now i.e 1 single neutral cable between the fittings. Can I cut into this and where can I get the live from. If its from the switch, how is it wired ?? I want to fit the switch just inside the loft door. Could somebody please give me a simple explanation with maybe even a diagram !!

Sponsored Links
you should find that there is a permanent live wire running between the switches and then a switched live wire running from

you can either tap the permanent live at one of the switches or somewhere else where you can get at it.

where have they run the earths? you need to make sure those are connected up properly too.

and finaly remeber that cables with only a single layer of insulation (except for earths) shold only be run in conduit. single cores with double insulation do exist but seem fairly hard to get.

Cheers plugwash ... I'll check that out the weekend ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back